30 January 2006

And The Razzie Goes To...

Hey guys, it's Donnie...In case there was any doubt, we are back in the midst of Award Season once again. The Golden Globes have come and gone and last night the Screen Actor's Guild chose to champion hollow bullshit "importance" in the form of Paul Haggis's Crash. How someone ever chooses crash over Goodnight and Good Luck I'll never understand.

Today we got the nominations for one of my favorite award shows: The Razzies. For those who don't know, the Razzies are given out to the absolute worst movies and performances of the year. While the "best of" shows tend to be pretty subjective and debatable, the Razzies tend to be pretty spot on.

This year's nominations for Worst Picture are:
The Dukes Of Hazzard
Son Of The Mask
House Of Wax
Dirty Love
Deuce Bigelow: European Gigalow

I have to take exception to some of these. I mean, I can't say definitely because I haven't actually seen any of these movies (for good reason obviously) but I heard that Dukes of Hazzard and even half of House Of Wax had some aspects that were enjoyable. Whereas pretty much everyone on the planet seemed to agree that the remake of The Fog was just absolutely and utterly without merit. (Although, again, I can't say for sure because I didn't see it. Again, with good reason.)

Also Tom Cruise is nominated for Worst Actor for War of the Worlds, something I also have to protest. His performance is by no stretch of the imagination Razzie worthy, and I think that this is instead a backlash reaction to him going absolutely batshit crazy for about three or four months this past summer. That's really too bad. That's almost as unfortunate as the Academy giving out Oscars to people like Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington not for their actual performance in a particular film but because they're good actors and they hadn't gotten an award yet.

Oh well. At least Tara Reid got a nomination for Alone In The Dark. Come to think of it, where was THAT nomination? I think it's saying something when you can come up with five major theatrical releases that were worse than whatever steaming pile of fecal matter Dr. Uwe Boll managed to smear onto screens in a given year...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder